Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Hubby's Fav - Pan Mee

This got to be my hubby no 1 favorite dish - pan mee! And i have since brush-up my skill of cooking this dish for him on almost every 1st Saturday of the month.

You must wondering why 1st Saturday of the month. well, i don't need to cook on weekdays and probably don't have the time to cook. So, I made my hubby a pledge that I will cook him a meal every 1st Saturday. He just have to order and i have to cook. His promise is he will finish whatever i cook, no matter how terrible it taste!

So far I have cook him a few other dishes such as chicken rice ala loh mai kai style, spiral spaghetti with tomato sauce, porridge, Hainanese chicken rice and some simple vege with rice. But his favorite and my best dish is still this infamous pan mee.

I think the most important part of this dish is the soup base. The soup will determine whether a bowl of pan mee is yummy! i have experience a few type of ingredient for the soup - chicken, anchovies and pork. I still like the soup base with pork bones, dai tou choy and kei zi. I cook the soup for more than 2 hours and the flavour is just yummy (even without any added seasoning ie salt or ajinomoto).

Hubby like his pan mee as simple as possible. Hence, the other ingredients in my pan mee include mushroom, fish ball, fried ikan bilis and fried onion. Not forgetting hubby's must have soya sauce with cili padi!



For the dough I prepare it slightly different. After letting the dough to rest for at least 2 hours, i will make into small balls and soak it in cold water. After soaking in the water, I will flatten the ball using my fingers and drop it into a pot of boiling water. When flattenning the ball of dough, you can make it as thin as possible or to your liking. When the dough is cooked it will float, drain it and serve with hot soup and the other ingredients. The bowl of pan mee is served!

My hubby is so proud of my pan mee that he even invite his friends to have lunch at our house when I'm cooking this fav dish of his. My next 'project' is yin yong (Cantonese fried noodles)!

No comments:

Post a Comment