Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Traditional Mooncake: 1st Trial

This year I have the urge to make my own mooncake. I have made some snowskin mooncake and am liking it. Last weekend I tried baking some traditional mooncake based on recipe from Lily of Lily's Wai Sek Hong.

The process is quite tedious as I started with making my own golden syrup as per Lily's recipe. Then a mixture for the dough need to be rest for an hour before mixing with the flour. The dough as per picture below will then be left to rest for 30minutes before it can be used.



The mooncake ready for their 1st bake/broil until brown. After which it needs to be cooled for 10-15 minutes before applying the egg wash and continue for 2nd bake.



The finished product.........


...


...


...


ta da... my 1st batch of mooncake looks UGLY!!!!!


and I used the Mickey Mouse cutter for some of the dough but then the portion is too small... the Mickey's ears looks like cutted-off!!! Hubby said very creative but gotta try harder!

Mom and dad say the taste is ok but gotta improve on the look. And I promise myself I will.

My second batch look better and is still in the container. As advised by some blogger, baked mooncake taste better 2-3 days after it is baked. So I will wait till tomorrow before I taste my second batch. Will keep you posted ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment