Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Peanut filled Glutinous Rice Ball

We recently relocated the toilet door near our kitchen. The reno start on Wed and it is done on Fri. The whole kitchen is in a mess with all the cement and dust all over the cupboard, windows, floor and ohhhh.....

So, I spend the whole Sat morning cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. ;(

While cleaning, found some raw peanut which have been sitting in the cupboard for some time and decided to make myself some glutinous rice ball (tong yuen) filled with peanut.


Use about 1/2 cup of peanut. This is the peanut after i fry and blend it. The colour is a bit dark cause I left it without stirring it for awhile and its somewhat burnt! The peanut is almost done when it is crunchy when you bite it. Test one by biting after letting it cold.

I blend this with a electric blender. Blend till the peanut is slightly creamy so that its easy to mould the peanut into a ball. I left it a bit chunky as I like the crunchy texture of the peanut.


The glutinous rice dough and peanut. I have mould the peanut to balls, so that its easier to fill it in the dough like the picture below.

I got about 20 balls from 1 bowl of glutinous flour mix with slightly warm water. I estimated the amount of water. If the dough is too dry (crack when form into balls) then more water can be added. If the dough is too soft then add a bit more flour. Dough which is too soft tense to get smoochy after boil. If you like to chew then I suggest you make it not too soft.

Since this is not planned, I have a simple syrup. Boil about 3 cups of water and sugar, to taste. When the sugar dissolved, add the balls into the syrup. You can tell that the balls are done when it float to the surface of the syrup.

And, my bowl of tong yuen is done with more peanut sprinkle over! How satisfying after a hard day cleaning the kitchen.

p/s: For the syrup, you can use palm sugar and/or add 2 slices of young ginger for more fragrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment